This page is intended to help new players of muds learn the commands and valuable information to help make the mudding experience fun and enjoyable. Most of this information can be found in the Mud Schools, but we have decided to include it on the wiki for quick reference.
Mud Terms and Definitions:
- Mobile, mob = is the computer generated character that you must kill to gain experience points to level
- PC = player character, which means you are a pc
- Immortal or IMM = the highest level players on the mud who set the rules in the mud that you must follow.
- Implementor or IMP = the creators of the mud
- AFK = away from keyboard - If you are going to step away from the computer, please type "afk" so you do not get disconnected for inactivity as quickly. Type "afk" again when you return.
- Exp = experience points which you must earn by killing mobiles
- Guild = the place where you practice your skills and spells
- Trainer = the place where you may train your attributes
- Color = will turn color on and off
- Diku Staff = creators of the original Diku Mud are: Hans Staerfeldt, Katja Nyboe, Tom Madsen, Micheal Seifert, and Sebastian Hammer
- ROM = creator of the ROM source code is Russ Taylor
- Merc 2.1 = created by Hatchet, Furey, and Kahn
General Commands in the Mud:
- Directions- north or "n", south or "s", west or "w", east or "e", down or "d", up or "u"
- exit = if you do not have autoexit on, this will show you what exits are in the room
- look = makes you look around the room you are in
- look <whatever> = will make you look and see the description of the specified target, if there is one. Keep in mind that not every object in a room will have a description.
- examine, exa <whatever> = makes you get a more detailed description of the specified room or mobile, if there is one. Again, not every object will have a description.
- scan = will make you scan around your room and see what may be in a room next to you
- recall = takes you back to your hometown's recall room
- sleep/wake, sit/stand = sleep and sit will allow you to rest and heal faster, wake and stand lets you stand back up to move again
- follow <character> = allows you to follow another PC automatically when they move
- group <character> = allows you to move and fight as a group; they must be following you for you to be able to group them
- Who = will tell you all visible players in the game
- Whois <name of player> = will tell you more information on the specified player character if they are logged on
- Where = where you are, who is near you and what part of the area they are in
- Area = tells you all the available areas in the mud which you can explore
- Score = your personal datasheet with information on your character, including:
- Race, Class, level, gold, silver, saving throws and armor class
- Strength = determines your tohit, todam, carry weight
- Intelligence = determines how fast you learn skills when practicing
- Wisdom = determines how many practices you get per level
- Dexterity = determines defensive bonus
- Constitution = determines how many hp you get per level
- hitpoints, hp = your life points and if it goes to zero you will die
- mana = your mana points which allow you to use them to cast a spell or channel
- movement, mov = your movement points which allow you to be able to move, walk around
- Prac = shows what you may practice when typed at a guild
- Practice <name of spell or skill> = allows you to increase you skill or spell percentages
- Train = shows what you may train when typed at a trainer
- Train <name of attribute> = allows you to train and increase your attributes such as: strength, intelligence, etc...
- skill = shows you what skills you currently have and how good you are at them
- spell = shows you what spells you can currently cast (if you are a spell casting class)
- equ = tells what equipment you are wearing
- inv = tells what is in your inventory
- wear <item> = takes whatever item is in your inventory and makes you wear it
- remove <item> = takes the item you are wearing and removes it to your inventory
- get <item> = will make you get an item that you see lying around in a room
- drop <item> = will make you drop the specified object in you inventory to the ground
- sac <item> = will make you sacrifice an item on the ground to get money for it
- autolist = shows you the list of autos that can be set and if they are on or off
- autoassist = if grouped, you will assist the group in a fight
- autoexit = will show you the exits from the room
- autogold = you will get the gold from a corpse when the fight is over; if grouped you will get it if you strike the killing blow
- autoloot = you will get all the items off the corpse when the fight is over; again, if grouped you get it only if you strike the killing blow
- autosac = at the end of the fight, you will sac the corpse to get gold
- autosplit = if grouped, you will split the gold looted from a corpse with the rest of the party
There are some skills that are automatic when fighting, and many that are not. Look at your skills and try each one to learn which ones are automatic. ((I'm not going to tell you here because it's more fun to learn for yourself while fighting!))
- consider <mobile> = will let you know how powerful a mobile is compared to you
- kill <mobile> = will make you attack a mobile in order to kill it to gain experience points
- flee = makes you flee from a fight
- wimpy <number> = will set your wimpy points in order to flee if you have that amount of hitpoints
- glance <mobile> = will tell you what percentage the mobile's hp is at
You must kill mobiles to gain experience points to get to the next level.
You will also need to know how to talk to other players on the mud....
- Channel = will show you what channels there are to talk on. Most are various public channels, which mean the entire mud will see them, others are private.
- Say "whatever" = will make you say something that can be heard only by those in the room you are in
- Tell "name of player" = will make you tell something to the specified player which only they can hear
- Gossip or OOC "whatever" = will gossip or OOC whatever you specify to all players on the mud. OOC means "out of character".
- Quit = will make you quit from the mud. You must quit before closing your mud client or you will fall "Linkdead".
- Save = will make the mud save your character, some muds do not support autosave, but The Witch's Lair does.
Remember mudding is fun and should always be fun. Also remember to abide by all the rules of the mud and be considerate of other players when using Talk channels like "tell" or "gossip"
We are listed on The Mud Connection, and you can connect through them without a MUD client. (Both those links open in a new window, btw!) Once we figure out how to do the telnet window on our site, the link to MUDPortal will be moved.
Back in the day, the standard width for MUDs was 80 characters wide. We have modified our code to allow for 120 characters wide. If your Client allows you to change the setting, please adjust it to no less than 125 wide so that things don't look all funkedified, as they will if you connect through TMC.